The Surly Big Dummy was introduced in 2009 In collaboration with Xtracycle in the USA (the longbike pioneers). It's a versatile, sophisticated and modular Cargo Bike which can also be used to carry children - and adults!
The collaboration between Surly and Xtracycle means that most of the Xtracycle accessories are compatible with the Big Dummy frameset (except Xtracycle LT2 2nd generation parts). Practical Cycles have the range of accessories for the Xtracycle and Surly Big Dummy available to buy online.
Surly now produce their own small range of Cargo accessories specifically for the Big Dummy. They work in a similar way to the Xtracycle Parts (which can still be used on the Big Dummy). See the Surly Big Dummy shop page on our website for details and prices.
Unlike the Xtracycle 'Freeradical' Kit, which converts a regular bicycle into the Xtracycle long bike, the Surly Big Dummy is a one-piece frame and fork set that is a ready made longbike frame (so no conversion is necessary).
This means a stronger and stiffer set up than the Xtracycle and thus a larger payload. So if you want to transport really heavy cargo the Surly Big Dummy may be the better option for you.
Practical Cycles can sell you a Surly Big Dummy frame and forkset for you to build yourself. Surly also now produce a complete 'off-the-peg' bike to their own specification which is available to buy in our online store.
We have an 18" Surly Big Dummy available for test rides! Please email us if you wish to arrange a test ride - firstname.lastname@example.org
Surly Custom Build and Internal Gear Hubs
For the more discerning customer, Practical Cycles can orchestrate a fully tailored custom specification just for you. We specialise in offering gearing that utlilises internal gear hubs (IGH) - particularly IGHs from Shimano (Alfine), Nuvinci (360CVT), Sturmey Archer and the Rohloff Speedhub. We can also of course build the Surly Big Dummy with a derailleur drive train. Below you'll see an example of a recent custom build.
Full bikes take 2-4 weeks build time depending on how busy the workshop is. Why so long you ask? We build it without rushing it which means you get a well-built bike with no corners cut. We hand-build your wheels and this takes time but rewards you with long-lasting wheels which will withstand the weight and wear. We grease all the right bits, tap, ream and face the various frame 'interfaces' and generally put a lot of care and attention into your bike.
Here's a sample spec costing around £1700.00 (not including Longtail Kit):
- Frame & forks - Surly Big Dummy (SOIL ANT GREEN FOR 2016/17)
- Headset - 1 1/8 A-head (black)
- Stem - High Rise OS (black) 110mm
- Handlebars - Raleigh North Road - alloy (silver)
- Grips - stitched tan leather
- Brake Levers - Shimano Deore v-brake levers (black)
- Brakes - QUAD mechanical 180 front 160 rear (dual tool-free pad adjustability)
- Crankset - Shimano Deore 2-piece 170mm 44/32/22 (black)
- Bottom Bracket - Shimano Outboard bearings
- Seat Post - 27.2 x 400mm (black)
- Seat Clamp - Surly
- Saddle - Brooks B17 Std
- Cassette - Shimano Deore 11-34
- Chain - SRAM PC951 9 speed inc. gold powerlink
- Hubs - Shimano M525 6-bolt disk 36 hole
- Rims - Mavic XM 317 disk (black) 36 hole
- Spokes - stainless steel double butted
- Front Mech - Shimano Deore (black)
- Rear Mech - Shimano Deore (black)
- Gear Shifters - Shimano Deore (black)
- Tyres - Schwalbe Fat Frank 26" x 2.35 (black)
- Cargo System - Xtracycle or Surly (OPTIONAL EXTRA)
- Pedals - NONE
- Stand - NONE
Buy your Surly Big Dummy online ....